What makes Cody Simpson tick? If he were a pasta recipe, he would probably have three special ingredients: A teaspoon of John Mayer, a tablespoon of Andrew Garfield, and a cup of Neil Patrick Harris. Here are other facts you should know about him:
MASINOPINOY: BAKIT NGA BA MARAMING MAHIHIRAP NA PINOY?
1. Does he sound familiar? You bet! He is known for the single “La Da Dee” that he made for the 2013 American animated movie “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”
2. Who knew he could swim? As a swimmer in Queensland, Australia, Cody won three gold medals – one at the Australia’s Pacific School Games in 2008, and two at the Queensland Swimming Championships in 2009.
3. His singing talent was discovered when he started doing video song covers in YouTube at the age of 11. These include “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz, “Cry Me A River” by Justin Timberlake, “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5, and his original compositions “One” and “Perfect.”
4. After becoming a YouTube sensation, Cody became a hot recording artist and toured the United States. He made his own version of “I Want Candy” that was originally sang by The Strangeloves.
5. In 2011, he hired the manager of Justin Bieber and was featured in the latter’s concerts. This made Cody a big star.
6. Riding on his success, Cody was featured in several films and TV shows. He stood out in “Dancing with the Stars” with professional dancer Witney Carson.
7. Cody has been nominated several times and has won numerous awards from a lot of teen and music award-giving bodies. One of these is the MTV Europe Music Awards where he won the Best Australia Act.
8. The Wish Factory released a Cody Simpson doll in December 2011 for the singer’s many female fans. Yes, it’s like a singing Ken Doll!
9. Cody once dated model Gigi Hadid who appeared in some of his music videos. The two broke up because of their busy schedules.
10. In a bold move, Cody created his own record label called Coast House. In July 2015, he released a new album under his own label called “Free” with two new singles “Flower” and “New Problems.”
From the young Aussie boy sensation in YouTube, Cody has become a teen idol, and is now a more mature individual. At present, there seems to be no stopping him from reaching new heights of success.
Manilans recently got a taste of Cody fever when the talented singer performed in a “one-night-only” concert in the Newport Performing Arts Theatre at Resorts World Manila on August 12, 2015. For more details about the concluded concert, click here.