- Jane de Leon is the new Darna!
- Who is Jane de Leon?
- Jane de Leon will follow in the footsteps of actresses such as Angel Locsin, Marian Rivera, Vilma Santos, Lorna Tolentino, and others who have played the iconic role created by Mars Ravelo
After months of searching, Star Magic exclusive talent Jane de Leon was cast in the coveted role of Darna for the upcoming film remake of Mars Ravelo’s beloved superhero story.
ABS-CBN Films managing director Olivia Lamasan told ABS-CBN News on Wednesday, July 17, that 20-year-old Jane de Leon has been chosen to play the iconic superhero out of 300 celebrities who auditioned.
And since she’s relatively new to the showbiz industry, many are asking, “Sino ba ‘yan?” “Bakit siya?” and other questions. So we went to her YouTube channel and discovered some important information about the ‘chosen one’ for the superheroine role.
1. Her full name is Jane Florence Benitez de Leon.
“Galing siya sa grandmother ko which is Jane,” she said.
Her second name was derived from her aunt’s name Flor and her dad, Ruel Florencio. “Florence because ‘yung sister ng Dad ko is Flor, her name is Flor and ‘yung Dad ko naman is Ruel Florencio. So naging Florence ako.”
Her mom calls her Flordeliza whenever she’s angry. Jane mentioned that some of the names her family once thought of naming her included Hyacinth (flower), Amapola (famous song during her mom’s time), and Jade or Joey.
Her nickname is Chynise.
2. Her date of birth is: November 22, 1998
3. She has strict parents. “Strict ang parents ko. Sobrang strict especially my Daddy”
4. She has five other siblings. On her mother’s side, she’s the youngest.
5. She is from Laguna and just stays in a place near ABS-CBN if there’s an audition or any project.
6. She loves animals. She confesses to being an animal lover, most especially cats.
7. She has a scar on her cheek which she got when she was five years old.
8. While most of her stuff is pink, she doesn’t like wearing pink.
She said, ” When it comes to stuff and things, I love pink pero kapag sinusuot ko na, like top, ayoko ng pink.”
9. Jane shared that when she was younger, she leaned towards playing toys that are for young boys.
10. She wants to be a doctor or a soldier in the army.
11. She’s not afraid of any animals, even cockroaches.
She is scared of butiki though.
12. She cries while watching horror movies.
13. She’s a Star Magic artist.
She starred in the high-rating primetime drama Halik as Maggie Bartolome, sister of Jericho Rosales’ character, Lino. She also starred in the 2017 fantasy series La Luna Sangre as a moonchaser, as well as in movies such as horror flick The Debutantes and the coming-of-age movie Walwal.
14. She used to be in a girl group.
Jane used to be part of It’s Showtime‘s girl group Girltrends.