Have you noticed? The air has been cooler. Parols are up and fairy lights are twinkling all over. Jose Mari Chan songs have also been on loop! Looks like the holiday season is finally in full swing! For many Filipinos, this season is the perfect time to host dinner parties or attend a family potluck and catch up with loved ones. Ordering party trays or bringing a bottle of wine or a box of fruit cake can surely make the yuletide spread merrier. But why not make your loved ones feel extra special and step up your cooking game by adding homemade showstoppers to the table?
Whether you’re planning to cook delightful main dishes or make your own hard-to-resist sweet giveaways, The Maya Kitchen can help you prep for your upcoming holiday dinner parties and potlucks with these no-fail recipes that you can whip up using the MAYA All-Purpose Flour.
If you’re looking for a festive main dish, then the Roast Chicken with Three Mushrooms is your best bet. This holiday dish can be an instant star of your Noche Buena or Christmas party with its aromatic spices, earthy mushrooms, and flavorful meat.
After washing and drying the chicken, season it with salt and pepper. Make sure to put them too in between the skin and the meat. Spread the herb butter evenly to the same layer. Then, truss the chicken. Combine the onion, carrots, and celery, and place them all on the roasting pan and place the chicken in the middle. Sprinkle with some oil and roast for about an hour or until it turns golden brown. Set aside.
Degrease the roasting pan, then cook the drippings for about 4 minutes or until it starts to be golden brown. Add the MAYA All-Purpose Flour until it dissolves, then pour in the chicken stock and mix well so it gradually thickens. Simmer for about 10 minutes before straining into a saucepan. Heat the butter and sauté button, shitake, and pre-soaked dried porcini mushrooms for about 3 minutes, then add them to the simmering sauce. Add herbs, salt, pepper, and the brandy to flavor. Finally, remove the strings and place the chicken on a serving platter, add the sauce and mushrooms. Garnish with some chopped parsley — and bon appétit!
A holiday celebration wouldn’t be complete without some delicious chocolate indulgence. Put a refreshing fruity twist to your classic chocolate treat with this Chocolate Fudge Orange Cupcake recipe. These goodies are perfect to serve guests with a cup of coffee or tea.
Try this easy-to-follow chocolate cupcake recipe: Sift MAYA All-Purpose Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar in a bowl, then create a hole in the center. Add egg, mayonnaise, and boiling coffee, then fold in the melted chocolate. Pour the mixture into cups and leave it in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes at 180ᵒF. For the ganache, just boil the cream in a pot and fold in the chocolate. Mix until it smoothens. Decorate each cupcake with a big rosette of fudge and candied orange zest.
Want an easy edible gift to give your friends and family over Christmas? Jazz up your holiday spread with these Santa-approved Christmas Sugar Cookies! Here’s how to make it: Sift MAYA All-Purpose Flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside. Cream together softened butter and confectioners’ sugar, beat in an egg, and add desired flavoring. Add the dry ingredients and mix until dough is formed. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use cutters to create preferred shapes. Pop them it in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Add some colored royal icing, then wrap them up as gifts once icing sets!
Explore more creative baking and cooking holiday recipes with MAYA All-Purpose Flour only at www.themayakitchen.com.
Follow and like MayaHotcakesandMore on Facebook, and @MayaHotcakesandMore on Instagram and Twitter.
For more information on this, log on to www.themayakitchen.com, e-mail [email protected], or visit The Maya Kitchen Culinary Center every Tuesday to Saturday at 8F Liberty Building, 835 A. Arnaiz Avenue (Pasay Road), Makati City. You may also call us 8921185 or 892-5011 local 108 or +63929 679 6102.
Roast Chicken with Three Mushrooms
Herb Butter Chicken Seasoning
• 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 whole chicken
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup onions peeled and diced
• 1/4 cup celery diced
• 1/4 cup oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoons MAYA All Purpose Flour sifted
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup fresh button mushrooms
• 1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms stems removed
• 1/4 cup Dried porcini mushrooms pre-soaked
• salt and pepper to taste
• thyme leave
• marjoram leaves
• 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
• 1 teaspoon parsley chopped
1. Mix the herb butter seasoning and set aside at room temperature.
2. After washing and drying the chicken, season with salt and pepper.
3. With your fingers, insert them in between the skin and the meat.
4. Get some of the butter and insert it evenly.
5. Truss the chicken.
6. Mix the onion, carrots and celery.
7. Place them on the roasting pan and place the chicken in the middle.
8. Sprinkle with some oil and roast it for about 60 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken.
9. When it has a nice golden roasted finish, set aside and start preparing the sauce.
1. Degrease the roasting pan and remove all burnt ingredients.
2. Cook it for about 4 minutes or until it starts to be golden brown.
3. Now add the flour and mix it well so it is no longer visible.
4. Add the stock and mix well as it will gradually thicken.
5. Let is simmer for about 10 minutes, then strain it into a sauce pan and continue to simmer it.
6. Meanwhile, heat the butter and sauté the mushrooms for about 3 minutes then add them to the simmering sauce.
7. Rectify the seasoning with herbs, salt, pepper and the brandy.
8. When the sauce is right, keep hot.
1. Remove the string and place the chicken on a serving platter.
2. Spoon the sauce and the mushrooms on the sides.
3. Garnish with chopped parsley and sprigs of thyme and marjoram.
Chocolate Fudge Orange Cupcake
• 105 g MAYA All-Purpose Flour
• 210 g brown sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• pinch of salt
• 1 egg
• 110 g mayonnaise
• 1 c boiling coffee
• 90 g Quickmelt Cacao, melted
• For chocolate ganache:
• 100 g cream
• 75 g unsweetened dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
• 125 g dark semi-sweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
• candied orange zest
1. Sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a hole in the center.
2. Add the egg, mayonnaise and boiling coffee.
3. Fold in the melted chocolate.
4. Line cupcake mold with paper cups.
5. Pour mixture equally into 15 cups.
6. Bake at 180 F oven for 10-12 minutes.
7. To make the ganache:
8. Boil the cream in a pot. Fold in the chocolate. Mix until smooth.
9. Decorate each cupcake with a big rosette of fudge and candied orange zest.
Christmas Sugar Cookies
• 2 cups ½ -2 ¾ MAYA All-Purpose Flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter softened
• 1 cups ½ confectioners’ sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
• 2 egg whites
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 – 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 2 – 3 tablespoons fresh milk
• Gel food coloring of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 350ᵒF/177ᵒC. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream together softened butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the egg and add desired flavoring. Add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use cutters to create preferred shapes.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Cool before decorating.
For Royal icing
1. Mix egg whites and lemon juice using a mixer until soft peaks form.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar gradually and add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time.
3. Mix until fluffy.
4. Divide into bowls, mix in gel food coloring
5. Decorate cooled cookies. Let icing set for a few hours to harden.
Yield: 20-24 pieces