Media giant ABS-CBN is not keen on focusing on getting a new broadcast franchise.
According to ABS-CBN President and CEO Carlo Katigbak, the network is currently not inclined to aggressively push for a fresh franchise that will bring them back to free TV broadcast.
During their annual stockholders’ meeting on Thursday, July 28, Katigbak said that the Kapamilya network is still weighing its options on whether a new franchise will benefit its current strategic plans.
“We understand at the present there has been a franchise bill filed. However, at this time, we have yet to decide whether a new franchise is aligned with our strategic plans.”
Earlier this month, the Makabayan bloc at the House of Representatives filed a new bill seeking to grant ABS-CBN a new broadcast franchise.
ABS-CBN was forced to shut down in May 2020 after the National Telecommunications Commission’s cease and desist order.
Subsequently, through a vote of 70 Duterte-allied members of Congress, the House Committee on Legislative Franchises killed the ABS-CBN franchise renewal application.
Meanwhile, Katigbak said that the media company is more determined in content creation and distribution to reach more audiences. He said their focus now is more on business models that do not rely on broadcast franchises.
“Instead, we are doubling down on excellent storytelling, which has a wider audience on any network from any platform,” he added.
“We continue to work with TV5 and other partners. As of today, our partnership has taken the form of content licensing and content sharing agreements.
“We hope to continue with GMA as well as other partners here and abroad as part of our declared mission to reach audiences everywhere,” Katigbak said.
ABS-CBN’s programs are currently broadcasting on A2Z Channel 11 and TV5 through a block time agreement.
Some ABS-CBN shows are also streaming via Netflix and VIU.