Alden Richards has officially stepped into triple territory — as director, actor, and producer — with his debut feature film ‘Out of Order’, which held its red-carpet premiere on Sunday, Sept. 28, at the Shangri-La Plaza’s Red Carpet Cinema in Mandaluyong City.

The legal drama, which streams globally on Netflix starting Oct. 2, 2025, follows a struggling lawyer who takes on the case of his estranged father, accused of a murder he cannot remember committing. Richards not only directs the film but also plays the lead role, alongside Heaven Peralejo, Nonie Buencamino, Soliman Cruz, Nicco Manalo, and Joyce Ching. GMA Senior Vice President Atty. Annette Gozon-Valdes also makes a special appearance.
Despite having no formal education in filmmaking, Richards earned praise for his strong storytelling and visual execution. Critics at the premiere noted that the film carried the polish of a seasoned director, with Richards carefully balancing his dual role behind and in front of the camera.

Speaking at the premiere, Richards explained why the film’s theme of corruption resonates deeply with him: “It’s not really more of me paying a lot of taxes every year. It’s when I see people suffering, that’s what I cannot take — not as a taxpayer but as a Filipino,” he said, his voice breaking as he fought back tears.
“Dun ako galit na galit na kayo, itong mga corrupt na ito, nakakatulog kayo sa aircon sa malalaking bahay tapos yung mga tao, kapag bumaha, kapag may nangyaring calamity, ultimo buhay nila, nawawala. Kaya nila ‘yon? How dare them! That’s why I am all for the movement against corruption.”
He added: “Justice is not blind. It’s being blinded by people in power. The Filipinos are not stupid. We always remember. So huwag kami, huwag ang Pinoy.”
Richards admitted that his biggest challenge as a first-time director was gaining the trust of his cast. “Since this is my debut as a director, binuhat nila ako lahat. Nagbuhatan kami lahat dito sa pelikula,” he said. The actor immersed himself at the Quezon City Hall of Justice for one week to observe litigation processes and collaborated with lawyers-turned-writers to strengthen the script.
Originally running three and a half hours, the film was trimmed to meet Netflix standards. “When I watched the three-hour version, parang dumaan lang. Every role was essential, and the message is still there,” Richards said.
‘Out of Order’ first screened at the 2025 Jagran Film Festival in India and competed at the Da Nang Asian Film Festival in Vietnam earlier this year.
Richards hopes the film will not only entertain but also inspire courage among Filipinos to continue standing against corruption. “The battle for justice is every day,” he said. “As long as we’re fighting for the good of our fellowmen, I hope we don’t go wrong when we fight for justice and the truth.”

