- Prima Donnas will be pitted against Kadenang Ginto
- The series will premiere on August 19, after Hanggang Sa Dulo ng Buhay Ko under the afternoon prime block of GMA Network
- The upcoming drama series is the 8th program being put up against the most-watched afternoon program in the country, Kadenang Ginto
Prima Donnas is set to premiere its pilot episode on Monday, August 19, 2019, under the GMA afternoon block replacing Bihag which ended on Friday, August 16. With this, the upcoming series will be pitted against the most watched afternoon program, Kadenang Ginto.
Prima Donnas cast member Aiko Melendez, admitted that their series is set to clash with a giant but she assured Kapuso viewers that Prima Donnas will give a good fight.
She said, “Mahirap maging katapat ang higante, di ba? Lalo na Kadena is made already. Kami starting pa lang pero one thing is for sure hindi kami mapapahiya sa show namin.”
When asked if they are intimidated by Kadenang Ginto, this is what the actress had to say, “Mas kabado ako sa show hindi sa ano mang katapat namin. Kasi siyempre ang dapat atupagin hindi ‘yung katapat kundi paano magiging iba ang show namin sa iba.”
Moving forward, she went on: “Story wise di kami papahuli. Di naman ako papayag gumawa ng puchu-puchu lang. Tsaka naniniwala ako may suwerte ‘yung tandem namin ni Wendell (Ramos) kasi meron na kaming following from Wildflower.”
Aiko Melendez plays the villain in the upcoming GMA Network afternoon drama series Prima Donnas.
In the series, Melendez will co-star with Katrina Halili, Wendell Ramos, and the ‘Prima Donnas’- Jillian Ward, Sofia Pablo, and Althea Alban.
Prima Donnas is a family drama series that tells the story of triplets, who were deprived of a better life, but find their way back to where they belong as the rightful heiresses.
Meanwhile, Kadenang Ginto is a story that depicts how greediness can backfire against you. It tells the story of two families with their scarred and entangled past that instead of bringing them closer, it tears them apart.
Prima Donnas is the 8th Kapuso drama series that will be pitted against the Kapamilya program.
Below are the list of GMA programs that went up against Kadenang Ginto:
1. The Stepdaughters (starring Megan Young and Katrina Halili in the titular roles, the show ended with a total of 178 episodes).
2. My Special Tatay (the show premiered on September 03, 2018 and concluded on March 29, 2019 with a total of 150 episodes).
3. Ika-5 Utos (Top-billed by Gelli de Belen, Valerie Concepcion, and Jean Garcia, the show has a total of 116 episodes)
4. Inagaw na Bituin (The show premiered on February 1, 2019 starring Kyline Alcantara and Therese Malvar).
5. Bihag (Starring Max Collins, the show premiered on April 11 and will conclude on August 16, 2019 with a total of 98 episodes)
6. Dahil sa Pag-Ibig (The show premiered its pilot episode on May 20, 2019, replacing Inagaw na Bituin in its timeslot).
7. Hanggang sa Dulo ng Buhay Ko (The show replaced Dragon Lady. Starring Kris Bernal, Megan Young, Rayver Cruz, and Kim Domingo, the horror drama series premiered on July 22, 2019).
However, most of the shows mentioned above, if not all, were not able to beat Kadenang Ginto in the battle of the ratings.